The number of authors wanting to exhibit in this year's festival is encouraging. We fill-up quickly and will have a waiting list. Please get your 2018 Author Application in as soon as possible.
The Stryker Center
The festival is in the Stryker Center at City Square (412 North Boundary Street - next door to the Williamsburg Regional Library and across the street from the Williamsburg Chamber & Tourism Alliance building and the Williamsburg Community Building). The Stryker Center has a large open exhibit area and floor-to-ceiling windows for plenty of natural light. We have a separate meeting room for workshops and panels throughout the day that add to the festival's offerings.
During the Book Festival (Saturday, October 6), An Occasion for the Arts is also drawing crowds nearby. It is THE arts event for the year and stretches from Duke of Gloucester Street to Prince George Street. This will put the Book Festival a block and a half from An Occasion for the Arts. We benefit from the additional foot traffic as it is easy access for Book Festival people and for An Occasion for the Arts people -- without looking overcrowded and discouraging some potential attendees.
Author Applications due May 31
Because of the demand to participate and to ensure a diversity of subjects, we will "jury" the selection of genres and books. The selection process will be based on offering the festival attendees with an assortment of subjects/genres, high-quality books, and authors who are serious about their craft – both experienced and emerging.
- Submit an Application to Participate in the 2018 Williamsburg Book Festival The deadline to submit an application is May 31, 2018. Table rental fees are not due until you have received an invitation to participate.
For First Time Exhibitors, we encourage you to submit a copy of your book for review by the selection committee. Mail to Blue Dragon Publishing, PO Box 247, Lightfoot, VA 23090
All books received with applications will be donated.
- You will be notified in late June if you are invited to be an exhibitor.
Author Invitations sent late June
- Invitations will be extended to select authors in late June. Please remember that if you are not invited to participate this year, the selection is heavily based on providing a wide variety of books. For example: There could be many science fiction or children's books or historical novels submitted, so that may affect the competition for authors in a particular genre. We will not know until all the applications are in. This is NOT a reflection on the author. It is a process to present a multi-genre book festival.
Author Registration Payments Due Aug 15
- Selected authors will register for their preferred table size for the Book Festival. Registration fees are due by Aug 15, 2018.
- Authors will be responsible for providing their inventory, selling their books, and paying their sales tax.
- Some Smartphone and tablet applications like PayPal or Intuit or Square make taking credit cards easier.
- The retail sales tax for Williamsburg is 6%. (For more information on collecting and reporting sales tax: http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=SalesUseTax) For questions concerning sales tax, please see your accountant. Form ST-50a
- Last year's festival was a great success. The festival aims to build its audience and reputation for showcasing variety and quality in regional authors and books.
*** Sign-up for our newsletter to receive announcements for the 2018 Festival.